Monday, February 26, 2007

If I had a magic wand I'd...


If I had a magic wand and could change something about the way each member of the Kelowna Rockets plays the game, this is what I'd do.

Clayton Barthel: I'd make him meaner. I'd get 'Bart's' to fight more, and play like the s.o.b he was to play against when he first broke into the league. He has mellowed considerably since then and it's hurt his prospects for playing at a higher level.
Why he doesn't fight more is beyond me?
He destroys anyone he has every dropped the mitts with, would put the fear of God into anyone who dares to go into the corner with him, yet he simply doesn't play with that chip on his shoulder.

David Schulz: Carry the puck my friend...carry the puck. My magic wand would see him skate the puck the length of the ice, creating offensive opportunities every chance he got. Instead he is mostly content to gain the red line and dump it in or shoot from just inside the blue-line. His skating ability is amazing, yet I am not sure the confidence level is there for him to feel assured that if he gives up the puck while going to the attack, that someone can cover his butt if the opposition goes the other way with it. A physical specimen, I'd get him to play with more courage.

Tysen Dowzak: I would make him play the 'big man's game'. When you are as big as he is, you need to play with power, strength, and put the fear into an on-coming forward that he will pay the price if you dare stick handle around me. Dowzak is such a nice guy, that his personality gets the best of him on the ice.

Colin Joe: My magic wand would give him added confidence. He is so hard on himself that the mental side of his game is taking over the physical side. I would give Joe a better shot, as his inability to get quality hard shots on goal is likely the result of only one goal in his career over 170 W.H.L games.

Luke Schenn: My magic wand would turn him into an instant leader. I would make him vocal in the dressing room, and despite being 17, get in the faces of others who are not pulling their load. He wouldn't be the best teammate to be around because he would call a spade a spade, but his in-your-face style would surely make others accountable. Ryan Cuthbert was that way and he is the best leader this organization has ever had.

Tyler Myers: I would turn him into a more urgent player. Often times to calm with the puck for my liking, I'd give him the ability to make hard passes and get that puck in the forwards hands quicker. He too would play with more of an edge, not necessarily by fighting, but by throwing some huge body checks. When you are 6'7 you need to use your girth to your advantage.

Riley McIntosh: My magic wand would turn him into a player that isn't satisfied with being a rookie. McIntosh would strive to get better, and put pressure on Dowzak and Joe, that if they don't play up to par, I am waiting in the wings to be more than an adequate replacement. Pushing other teammates to excel can be a rookies greatest contribution to a team. Being a second class citizen by not standing out is the worst thing you can do.

Cody Almond: I would make the game of hockey fun again. I really don't think Cody is having much fun. I would put a smile on his face more often, and make him more of a leader. Almond has the tools to be a good one, and even at 17 can have a huge impression on his older teammates.

Evan Bloodoff: Don't question this kids heart, keep it intact. Give him more strength so he can stand up to those more physically mature than him, and you have a gem.

Lucas Bloodoff: His work ethic is infectious, his shot is tremendous. Give him a touch more play making ability and you've got a beauty as Don Cherry would say.

Brett Breitkreuz: My magic wand would make him more selfish. Brett you are a goal scorer with some bite to your game. You'll fight if you have too, but all good goal scorers are selfish. Jesse Schulz and Justin Keller were greedy on the ice, and that's the reason why they were both 50 goal men. Can you be a 50 goal man? Maybe. A 30 goal man? Guaranteed!

Dylan Hood: Energy. I'd give him an extra injection of energy and the mindset to make a contribution every shift by hitting everything that moves. He's physically stronger than many of his 16 year-old teammates, and needs to bring that energy to the lineup consistently. The goals will come my friend...the goals will come.

Colin Long: I would change his calm, cool demeanor. He needs a shot of urgency, excitement in his game if you will . Blessed with all the skills in the world, Long could also be a little more selfish and shoot the puck more. My magic wand would give him increased strength so he can have more success battling for pucks in the corners. Without a doubt he is the most skilled player on the team. My wand would help him pick up his intensity.

Myles MacRae: My wand would transform him into a Mr. Vocal. While he tells me he is loud and proud in the dressing room, my general impression is MacRae is a player who is reserved and doesn't believe he can make an impact on others. Quite the contrary Myles, you need to be an impact player as a third year guy. Do it vocally and on the scoreboard.

James McEwan: My wand would give him an greater ability to skate. You can't question this guys heart or determination. He will do whatever to takes to win, but if his foot speed was better he would be a royal pain in the a** on the forecheck.

Brandon McMillan: I would give him added confidence to be an impact guy, despite being just 16. I really thing McMillan can be a tremendous junior player. Built like a brick **** house, McMillan can be a physical force and has a great mind for the game. My wand would have to do little work on him.

Chris Ray: My wand would make him 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Give him a slight upgrade in hands around the net, and he's surely be playing in the N.H.L down the road. Just a little to small, his leadership qualities and desire to win can't be questioned.

Torrie Jung: Mark my words, he will play in the N.H.L. My wand does not need to change that. I would give him the ability to bounce back from a soft goal with greater determination to be a game breaker. He has the ability to decide a game on his own. He is that good.

Kristofer Westblom: He will play pro, their is no denying that. A tremendous leader, no one, and I mean no one including Chris Ray wants to win more. My magic wand would heal him instantly of his knee injury which would undoubtedly force the Minnesota Wild to sign him to a pro deal.

Matt Brusciano: My wand would give him a increased mean streak. A very quiet, reserved person off the ice who is liked by all, the magic wand would turn him into a more fierce competitor. He'd use his big body more to separate forwards from the puck.

Justin Bernhardt: My wand would change his attitude. I still believe he has a bit of a 'no care attitiude' which needs to change. A gifted player when he wants to be, his mental game is his downfall. My wand would change it instantly so it doesn't rub off on others.

Jason MacDonald: Better hands. My wand would give him more touch around the net. He works so hard, but often doesn't get alot accomplished. He could use an upgrade in courage as well as he tends to shy away when things get rough.

I know what your thinking.

Oh sure Bartel you can use your magic wand on all these players, but what would you do if the magic wand could be used on you?
You aren't perfect either!

My wand would give me more hair, the kind of long blonde locks that Colin Long's Dad has.
I'd make myself taller, like Colin Long's Dad.
My wand would give me a deep voice, like Colin Long's Dad.

Ok I'm just going to come out and say it, 'I want to be Steve Long'.

4 comments:

David's Color Comments said...

Great article...except the last part about you wanting to be Steve Long....that was just kind of creepy.

Regan Bartel said...

Give Michaud time hocus lopez and he'll be in the same place as we are.
I remember feeling confident about things upstairs and then one day...gulp.
Where did it go?
Oh yes, down the shower drain.
I hope I can get more feedback from others on this article.
Am I right, wrong, missing the boat.
You tell me?

original6 said...

Great article, Reagan. All players have strengths and weaknesses. Most players are acutely aware and would agree with the prevailing view of their weaknesses and are working to improve them. They work on all aspects of their game. No player is perfect. It is the coaches job to blend the various players strengths and weaknesses into an effective forward line, defensive paring, and team.
There is no magic wand. It is all hard work, experience, and maturity. That is the great thing about junior hockey--you can see development take place right in front of your eyes.
Thanks for mentioning me and my hair in your blog. I'm not cutting it until the team makes the playoffs,I hope thats this season not next.
When your done with that wand can I use it? I got some weight to drop and would like to see my kid more.
Thanks for making the games fun.
Steve Long

Lefty said...

you're way behind the curve on wanting to be steve long, regan. i've wanted to be him since i was 16.