Thursday, February 22, 2007

Players you hate - but would love to have!

I often hear fans across the Western Hockey League talk openly about players they simply love to hate.

Of course these are the players that tend to harass the team you are cheering for, and always seem to be in the middle of pushing and shoving after stoppages of play.


Don't you love that?

These players won't end up on the offensive score-sheet that often (except for my first example), yet play a pivotal role in a teams success.

I thought I'd look at some players in the BC division I don't necessary like, but would love to have on my team.

Prince George Cougars Eric Hunter:
Let me first of all state I have met Hunter on numerous occasions and find him great to deal with.
From a media standpoint, he is always good, speaks his mind and appears to be a very confident individual.

While he is likely hated by most fans, I love the way this guy plays.
When he plays on the edge he's most effective. While he has matured over the last couple of years and doesn't take as many penalties as in the past, he can play gritty, but has the ability to score. I've always thought with some different coaching, Hunter could have been not just good, but dominate, yet in Prince George has been hampered by being the leader of a team often in turmoil. I'd take Eric Hunter on my team any day.



Vancouver Giants Garet Hunt:
I know he's injured, but when he's healthy he's effective. Ya he's a little bugger,but he has to be hard to play against. He fights anyone despite being just 5'8 and trash talks with the best. Just ask Rockets rookie goaltender Torrie Jung. He plays his role to perfection. He has limited skill but as an energy guy, I'd put him on my roster.


I know I've stated before he didn't impress me when he grabbed his crouch at centre ice and taunted the Rockets bench after the Giants clinched the regular season title last season.
But the bottom line is he plays with emotion, raw emotional that sometimes gets the best of him, but it's that intensity that I'm sure coaches would love to see rub off on some of the more skilled players.


Victor Bartley - Kamloops Blazers:


Surprised I picked him aren't you?

Matt Kassian would be the easy target, yet when not provoked Kassian often times just stays on his wing and plays a relatively silent game. It's only when someone takes a cheap shot at a teammate, does Kassian get involved.

The younger brother of former Vancouver Giant Mitch Bartley, Victor is an in-your-face type of player. Skilled, with good speed, Bartley won't fight often but likes to get his nose dirty after whistles.
The Blazers #1 pick from 2003 was a good one in a draft year that has seen the majority of first round picks dealt elsewhere.

Bartley has a pretty good shot, can pass well, plus he relishes in getting under people's skin.
That's the reason I like him so much.

Cody Smuk Chilliwack Bruins:


Cody who?

Give the guy a break. In only his first year in the WHL he knows that he has limited skill, but works his tail off.

Sure he is known lately for knocking down Everett's Kyle Beach with two quick punches to the melon, but he's a tough kid to play against.

Smuk won't shy away from the rough stuff, and why should he after putting up 156 minutes in penalties last season playing midget hockey in Saskatoon.


That's my short list of the players you love to hate in the BC division.

They won't win many popularity contests, but I'd take them all with the knowledge that the 'annoying bunch' would be a nightmare to play against.

2 comments:

Regan Bartel said...

Your right, he is a former teammate of Long's. Both are California guys, and both have good skill despite being a little on the small side.
Stretch was the Blazers 4th round pick in 2004, the same year the Rockets picked Long in the 11th round.
By comparison Stretch has 29 points, Long has 22.
Don't count out Colin Long like many people have.
He is going to come around next season and show people why Lorne Frey picked him in the 2004 draft.

If he is anything like his Dad, Colin will grow, and with the hands he has right now, look out!

Regan Bartel said...

Long is a rookie like you said, because he didn't play in the required 21 games necessary to not be considered a rookie.
He had mono last season which didn't make for an enjoyable season, and that likely hurt his development.
Just remember that Blake Comeau had 33 points as a 17 year old on a pretty good team, for Long to have even close to that on a Rockets squad that struggles offensively, that's not bad.