Friday, May 11, 2007

Keith looked like Luke Skywalker/Mick is on the Move

Give Tigers agitator Derek Dorsett a break.
I heard he slept past the Tigers pre-game meal before game four and was a little hungry during the game.
That explains why he took a nibble of Giants forward Kenndal McArdle. All joking aside Dorsett claims he never bit the finger of McArdle in the second period of Vancouver's 4-0 win.
He will sit out one game for his actions.
I guess fans in Vancouver can now call him 'Dorsett the Digit Biter'.
____________________________________

One of the funniest on-ice incidents I've witnessed over the years was back in 2004 when the Rockets clashed with the Giants in a regular season game in Vancouver.
After a pushing match in the corner several players separated from the pack and started throwing punches leaving only two players on the ice without a dance partner.
The two players were Rockets d-man Duncan Keith and Giants d-man Mark Fistric.
Fistric wanted to grab hold of an undersized Keith, but Duncan didn't want any of it.
His first reaction with no help in sight?
He took his stick and used it like a Luke Skywalker Lightsaber to fend off an approaching Fistric. Keith literally stuck the blade of his stick in Fistric's face for a full 30 seconds in an effort to fend him off before the linesman finally came to his aid and pushed Fistric away.
The fans at Pacific Coliseum booed Keith all game long after the incident and looking back at it now it would have been best just to drop the gloves and let the chips fall where they may.
At the time Duncan Keith knew little about fighting.He had joined the Rockets after Christmas from U.S College hockey and was getting a first hand taste of what life was like at the junior level and how at one point in his career he'd have to stand up for himself while patrolling the Chicago Black Hawks blue line.
Keith has fought sporadically at the pro level - thank God - because I honestly felt embarrassed for him the day he used his stick as a Luke Skywalker Lightsaber to fend off an opponent.
_______________________________

Now it's official.
Troy Mick is leaving junior hockey. Mick resigned Thursday as General Manager of the Vernon Vipers.
Mick says he'll be moving to Puerto Vallarta Mexico in the fall to start a new career in real estate.
Mick's been with the team for 2 years and says he'll continue to be a consultant and advisor.
________________________________

I watched very little of the opening game of the Ottawa-Buffalo series. I watched the 2nd period while on the treadmill at the gym, so essentially 22 minutes.
I made two odd observations while putting on a lather (a sweat for those unaware of the term or in the dictionary it reads:
the foam resulting from excessive sweating as on a horse).
In Buffalo I was surprised to see Tim Horton's signage along the boards. At first thought I believed that 'Timmy's' locations were Canada exclusive, yet after further research I found out that Timmy-Ho's has over 100 locations in the great U.S.A.
Did you know that Tim Horton's owns 76 percent of the coffee market in Canada. Starbucks owns just 7 percent!!

CBC's Ron McLean had Sabres GM Darcy Regier on during the second intermission. Regier used a phrase I have never heard but will use it this upcoming season.
'Lock down line' is how he referred to his one checking line in this series. Maybe I've had my head in the sand but I have never heard it put that way.
'Lock down line' - I like it!!
If I hear Keener, Roddie or Andy Kemper in Portland use it this season I'll...I'll....I'll know that you like it as much as I do!

2 comments:

Andy Kemper said...

Hey Regan...Keener has already stolen your "Scoooooorress" call...

Just kidding, Jon...

Regan Bartel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.