Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Breitkreuz Crowned a King/Luke Schenn's Dad Speaks Out


Brett Breitkreuz was working out at the gym when he learned his days with the Kelowna Rockets are over.
Breitkreuz was left unprotected and claimed today by the Edmonton Oil Kings in the WHL expansion draft.
I spoke to Breitkreuz about being claimed by the Oil Kings after a short season in a Rockets uniform.
"I am disappointed for a number of reasons. I've settled in and I enjoyed it in Kelowna. I was shocked that it happened though. I thought I'd be protected because that was the general feeling I had from the team at the end of the year."

"I didn't think at all that it would happen. I thought about the draft today, but didn't really feel I'd be selected".

"I guess now my allegiances will have to switch at the drop of a hat. Now I will do anything I can do to make us successful in Edmonton", Breitkreuz added.
Bruce Hamilton on the Oil Kings pick:
"It didn't surprise us, and I think they got a good player in the long run. I think he's really worked hard this summer to get himself in shape where as last year when he arrived here he had a tough time with his conditioning."
"He was a good kid. He was our second round pick and was second on our team in fighting majors behind James McEwan. We lost a player we invested time in."
"He was disappointed with the news. He had nothing negative to say about our organization. But I got him to understand that the Oil Kings are apart of the Edmonton Oilers organization, so he'll be playing at Rexall Place, so he'll be fine."
Is Hamilton tired of expansion?
"I am. Our league is too. These guys (Edmonton) have been trying to get into our league for so long now and have tried to purchase teams before. Northern Alberta is a good move for us because of the blue-collar crowd there, but I think we are at the end of the line. We can look at the island with Nanaimo and Victoria as places we are interested in eventually, but I think those areas are for teams that are looking at relocating probably".

____________________________________

He isn't going to Brandon - bottom line!

Harsh words from the father of 16 year-old Brayden Schenn today when I spoke to him from Saskatoon.
Jeff Schenn, who is also the father of Kelowna Rockets defenseman Luke Schenn told me that Brayden will never play for Kelly McCrimmon's team.
The reason?
Geography according to Jeff Schenn.

"He never wanted to go there (Brandon) before he was drafted. We told them that but the Wheat Kings told us they would draft the best player available at the time. Since day one he hasn't been happy. I want to see both (Luke/Brayden) of them play, and play against each other. If Brayden is in Brandon, he plays the Rockets just once a season."

The Schenn's are a Tight-Nit Family:

"We are a tight family. I want to spend time with the boys, and being in Brandon doesn't make that possible. I have talked to Kelly (McCrimmon) and he says if he traded Brayden it would be like mixing poison in his drink and drinking it. It would show people that players don't want to play in Brandon."

Schenn wants to play in the WHL:

"I am not saying he can't play in any other centre. If he was playing in the B.C division or the Central I'd be happy with that. But he won't be playing in Brandon I can tell you that much".

Jeff Schenn says if Brandon doesn't trade Brayden, he will either play high school hockey in Shattock St. Mary's or may look at playing in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League.

4 comments:

Jared Comeau said...

Kelly McCrimmon makes me sick. This guy does not have the players best interest in mind, as long as he has a chance at getting another ring. Trade Braydon to a team he would like to play on and be done with it. Sickening Regan, just sickening

Regan Bartel said...

Jared I have mixed feelings on what is happening in that Brayden Schenn situation. I will share those on this blog Wednesday. But I appreciated Jeff Schenn speaking openly about the situation with his son. I can see his point of view but also that of the Wheat Kings.

Dubwatcher said...

I think people need to realize that WHL teams are made from the Draft.
I think if anything Kelowna should trade Luke to the Wheat Kings as the family would then get to see both boys play a ton! Don't the Schenn's live in Saskatychewan? This would make more sense.

Regan Bartel said...

All I know is Luke Schenn is VERY happy in Kelowna and the Rockets would not want to part with him. I see what your saying, but isn't it easier to move a kid who hasn't even played a game in the league, rather than an established player like Luke who is entering his draft year and has 2 seasons under his belt? All the Schenn's want is for McCrimmon to trade Brayden - and it doesn't have to be to Kelowna. Sure, ideally playing with his brother would be great, but lets face it you can't have your cake and eat it to.