Monday, June 18, 2007

Let's Hear from Huska

Ok, we've talked enough on this blog behind the back of Kelowna Rockets assistant coach Ryan Huska.
Let's get an idea of what he's thinking as he looks at the possibility of becoming the teams new head coach.

Ryan, what have the last couple of day been like for you?

" I'm anxious a little bit. I have some good days and some bad days (laugh) where I am doing alot of thinking, but I am trying to stay positive and hope that in the end it works out. But if not, I know I will be part of the staff here that is very good, and I will have the ability to learn from someone in my final go around on the last year of my contract".

Are you ready to be a head coach?

"I feel I am! I would be excited for an opportunity. I am really looking forward to putting my ideas to work and seeing what type of response and results we can get. It's something that, I think when you get into the business, originally you think your ready. I think alot of guys that played the game think that way, but you quickly realize no, I don't have a clue what I'm doing yet. But I think over the last five years, with Marc (Habscheid) and Jeff (Truitt) I think I've learned a ton and I feel I am ready to take on the challenge like that".

What type of head coach would you be?

"I would like to be a coach that's very honest, very direct with the players. Someone that they know what they are getting. I would try to hold them accountable for how they play. I am not going to yell and scream, because that's not the way I am. But I think accountability is a big thing, and I think it's important whether it's at the junior level, minor hockey age or at the pro level".

When you see Bruce looking at others to coach this team, how does that make you feel?

"I totally understand it. I think when you sit back and you put yourself in his shoes, as President and GM and owner of the team, he has to do what is best for his hockey club. By him not going and seeing who might be interested or who might be able to apply, I think it would be a mistake on his part. It's his responsibility to this hockey club to search for the guy that's best for this job. If it turns out to be me that's fantastic, if it turns out not to be me it's going to be a choice that Bruce has done his homework on, and he's going to be a guy that is going to help this organization get back to where we need to be."

No comments: