Monday, June 18, 2007

Ok, I've Changed My Mind - Sue Me!


To say it's anxious times for Ryan Huska would be an understatement!
Within weeks you could be getting the biggest break of your coaching career by being name the Rockets new head coach, or you will humbly find yourself being passed over, assuming the assistant coaching duties under a third head coach.
For Huska, the waiting game must be like a kid at Christmas.
In one sense you are excited beyond belief over the prospect of getting that dream toy, yet in the back of your mind you also have a sense of doubt knowing that you could open that present, and the gift inside is not what you were hoping for.
Huska must have gotten a sinking feeling Friday when he learned Marc Habscheid was relieved of his duties with the Bruins.
"Oh great, another quality coaching candidate I have to compete against", is likely what Huska muttered.
To be honest , I've been teeter-tottering around the issue of Ryan Huska taking on the job as the new head coach of the Kelowna Rockets.

At first I questioned the move.
Now after considerable thought and debate, like a good politician I've changed my mind.
I can.
It's my blog!
Sure Huska has no head coaching experience per-say, but how many of today's successful coaches were given a shot, despite a lack of 'head' coaching experience at the time?
Were the Melfort Mustangs hesitant when they hired an ex-pro in Marc Habscheid to guide their team?
Habby had played the game, but had no real knowledge of what it took to coach.
Were the Kamloops Blazers crazy to hire a fireman to be an assistant coach in the 90's? Promoting him didn't hurt, as he'd eventually lead the team to a series of Memorial Cup championships as the eventual head coach.
Take a bow Don Hay.
Everyone deserves a chance - a first time if you will - and Ryan Huska is in the same boat.
I can look at my own life experience as a good example. If I had never been give the chance to do the Swift Current Broncos radio broadcasts in 1995, where would I be?
I'll tell you where I'd be.
I'd be holding a weed whipper in my hands cutting grass on the side of the Swift Current overpass. That's where I'd be. Don't get me wrong, their is nothing wrong with working for the parks department for the City of Swift Current, but it's not exactly where my passion lies.
I had no experience doing play-by-play at the time. Sure I had been in the radio business, but if I had not been given that first chance, my life would have likely taken a different direction.
With Huska, it's not like he's never played the game, and has no clue of what it takes to coaching at the major junior level.
Huska has won championships as a player, and as an assistant coach, so why would I think he is unable to do it as a head coach in the WHL?
Like I said, I've changed my mind. Everyone deserves a first chance.
Ryan Huska should be awarded the same luxury.

3 comments:

David's Color Comments said...

I'm a little upset that you didn't credit me with your change of heart!! That's okay, you and I both know that it was my pearls of wisdom that finally brought you to a greater understanding! I promise I won't tell anybody!

original6 said...

Regan, I agree with you. Huska will be a very good head coach for Kelowna and wherever else his career takes him. Ryan is very serious and professional and has a great knowledge of and passion for the game. No one is ever fully prepared for their first head coaching job, but he is as well prepared as he ever will be. He has the advantage of knowing everything about the organization: players, management, area,... radio guy. He won't have the distraction of having to relocate his family or of having to learn players and management styles. I am concerned that by not naming him in a timely fashion that Bruce sends a mixed message of wavering confidence to both him and the team. Unless someone you can't overlook like a Habshied or Quinn decides quickly that they want to coach this club, I say name Huska Head Coach as soon as possible

Regan Bartel said...

When I spoke to Ryan this morning, he was pretty honest about how he is feeling. He has likely been dreaming about this oppertunity since he left the game as a player, and appears to be ready to make the jump. My only concern is if the Rockets bring in a new coach, does that individual stay with Huska or does he bring in someone who he is more comfortable with for an assistant? And if Huska gets the job, who is his assistant coach? I can't see Kim Dillabaugh being promoted, as he does goaltending consulting work for the LA Kings. I know Bruce Hamilton is going to the NHL draft in Columbus this weekend, with the potential of him conducting some interviews down there.