Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Finley Faces Unfamiliar Challenge

For Jeff Finley, jumping into the assistant coaching role with the Kelowna Rockets doesn't come with it's share of trepidation.

Finley knows the game well, having played over 700 games in the NHL with 6 teams, but coaching is a totally different story.
When Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton approached Finley to see if he was interested, he jumped at the challenge, but not without some reservations.

"Basically Bruce called me and asked I was interested. I told him I had thought about coaching, and I thought I'd be good at it, despite not having any experience. Bruce (Hamilton) arranged a meeting with Ryan Huska and he explained to me what was all involved, all the duties you have as an assistant coach, including the travel and what goes on. I then got together with Bruce Monday and that was it", Finley added.

What is his greatest challenge?

"I am coming out of playing, and I don't have any coaching experience so their will be a bit of a learning curve there. My greatest challenge it trying to get the message across to the young guys, but I am really looking forward to it."


Will you rely heavily on what you learned as a pro?


"I hope it's a big asset. I lend my experience to Ryan in all different areas of the game, but especially on defense and especially working with these young
defenseman that they have in the organization, who I got an opportunity to watch last season. I can really see the potential in these guys, so I am looking forward to working with the d, but t just helping out and lending my thoughts and experiences in all different areas.

What will be his demeanor as the teams new assistant?

"I hope to think I am player friendly. I think their has to be a fine line where you have to be tough at the right times. The players have to know that you are here to work, you are here to win. Part of that will by Ryan's job, but at the same time I feel the same way as he does. He wants to get back to be known as a hard working team, and that's the same philosophy I have".

No comments: