Monday, October 1, 2007

Breaking Bread with Benn

This is a transcript of my conversation this afternoon with Rockets forward Jamie Benn.

RB - Regan Bartel
JB - Jamie Benn

RB: How happy are you to be in Kelowna?
JB: It's really great here in Kelowna. It's a good city, good team, good hockey club and I'm really excited to be here.
RB: You took in the game last Wednesday as a spectator. Did that give you a general feel for the team and the league?
JB: It gave me a little time to see the team and see what they are all about, and the atmosphere in this barn. I'm excited to get on the ice and experience what they (Rockets players) are experiencing.
RB: How tough was it to leave Victoria?
JB: It was pretty tough. I've lived at home all my life. I've left a great team in Victoria, and I had a full ride scholarship, and leaving that is pretty tough but coming here is just as great.
RB:You were playing with your brother in Victoria, so did that make it even tougher to leave?
JB: Ya, everything is a little tougher leaving him behind. But coming here and meeting new friends - new teammates and getting away from home might be a good thing for me.
RB: James what a season in the BCHL last year...42 goals, rookie of the year. Could you have written a better script?
JB: It could have gone a little bit better in the playoffs (laugh), but stuff happens and I was happy with my year and the team was great. Hopeful that success last year will carry over here maybe?
RB: Did you even think you could put up those type of numbers?
JB: I didn't think so. I just went out there and played my game and went day-by-day, and 42 goals came at the end of the year. Now I have to bring my best game here every night, and hopefully it turns out just as good.
RB: So you would describe yourself as a shooter?
JB: Ya, I'm a shooter. I like to get into the open and try to get a pass in the high slot and pop one in. I'll pass once in a while (laugh), but I'm a shooter for sure.
RB: So what do you want in a line-mate? A setup guy?
JB: In a perfect world I'd like a setup guy, but I'm going to come in here and where ever coach puts me is fine with me. If I start out on the 3rd line or 4th line, it doesn't matter. I'll be happy where ever I go.
RB: You've scored at every level you've played at. Can you score at the WHL level?
JB: It's going to be a good test, but I'll try my best. I'm not to worried about it. I'll just go out there and once I get that first game under my belt, maybe I'll get on a roll.

No comments: