Monday, November 5, 2007

Things That Make Me Go Hmm...

  • I rarely bitch and complain about WHL officiating, but couldn't hold back after Friday's fiasco. I thought it was appropriate to express my feelings on this blog after biting my tongue till it bled on our radio broadcast that night. I detest broadcasters complaining 'on the air' about the officiating and not looking at the real problem...the team they are calling the game for. I thought my rant was appropriate considering the Rockets won the game, rather than playing the sore loser card by complaining that the referee was the reason for a Rockets loss. In Friday's game, my complaint had more to do with Ryan Agar's inconsistencies, more so than the discrepancy in the lopsided penalty totals. Just call it both ways and I'll keep quiet. I promise.
  • A three game winning streak by the Rockets is no small feat. It's the second time this season the Rockets have turned the trick, and the confidence continues to build for a team that is getting better by the day. After back-to-back wins over the Bruins this weekend, this team can clearly play and beat the best in the league. In saying that, the Rockets can ill afford to have any passengers in order to win. While the group is a talented bunch, no one or two players are capable of leading this team to victory. Sure it could be accomplished back in 2005 with players like Comeau, Weber, Keller and Card, but this years crew is still two years away from being a true powerhouse.
  • So the Rockets coaching staff are giving the ball to veteran goaltender Kristofer Westblom. Westblom is expected to get the next three starts, which means games against Red Deer Wednesday and back-to-back starts this weekend in Prince George. Westblom has been the most consistent of the two goaltenders, and it's his job to lose. Bottom line is both goaltenders will be needed as the team plays 14 of it's next 20 games away from Prospera Place.
  • Will the Rockets be holding their breath today as they hear word on a potential suspension to forward Evan Bloodoff? Bloodoff was given a 5 minute major and game misconduct for a hit Friday night against the Bruins. Or is it water under the bridge, considering Bloodoff played one night later in the back end of the home and home series with the Bruins?
  • I've been trying to persuade color analyst David Michaud not to travel with the Rockets when they board the bus for Prince George Thursday afternoon. I have warned him about the 8 and a half hour bus ride up North, but he isn't heeding my warnings. It's a trip no one enjoys, especially the final two hours from Williams Lake to Prince George. But like an inquisitive kid at Christmas, Michaud wants to experience the CN Centre for himself. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate him making the trek and helping me on the radio broadcasts in back-to-back games, but the trip is never a fun time. He'll likely understand what I'm talking about when we arrive in Kelowna at 7 am Sunday morning, once the weekend is over.
  • Come to think of it, I did see Rocky the Raccoon on the ice at a Rockets game this season. My bad. My twin boys recently attended a game with Grandpa and Grandma though, and were looking around for the furry creature. While 'Rocky' is designed for the younger set, he is just another tool in bringing mom's and dad's to the arena with their kids. Those young kids that enjoy Rocky today will grow up to be season ticket holders down the road.
  • I had to laugh at a post on the site of fellow blogger Andy Kemper. One reader had the gonads to criticize Kemper for the game notes he posts on his blog. Kemper is doing a service for the readers by even posting those game notes, and is likely providing these notes to the media in the cities the Hawks visit. While some of the information on his game notes don't change, one has to remember that they are fresh in the eyes of those that read them in other centres.
  • I was in Toys "R" Us Sunday and heard Christmas music! It's November 4th, and "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" is blaring through the loud speaker. Are you kidding me! If the music was intended to make me purchase toys for my kids 51 days before Christmas, it had the opposite affect. I became bitter, Grinch-like if you will, and stormed out of the store with my twin boys. My rule is simple. No Christmas music before December 1st. That said, my wife told me next week the Christmas lights are going up. My response? Yes dear...yes dear!!

No comments: