Thursday, January 31, 2008

Is Beach the Most Hated Player in WHL?

'Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I guess I'll go eat worms'. That may be the theme song for Everett Silvertips forward Kyle Beach. Beach would compete with Vancouver Giants enforcer Garet Hunt for the most hated player in the Western Conference. Having gotten to know Beach well over the last couple of years, I thought it would be interesting to get his take on being arguably the most hated player in the conference. I sat down with Kyle (who I don't hate by the way) and got his take on a style of play that makes everybody mad!

"I definitely get under peoples skin. Whether it's players on the other team, coaches or even fans in the building, nobody really seems to like me. I guess that would put me up for a high candidate for public enemy number one as the most hated player in the WHL."

Does that suit you fine? Do you say to yourself - big deal?

"It doesn't bother me. It's not going to change the way I play the game. It's not a popularity contest out there so it's not going to affect the way I go out and play my game"

Having suffered two concussions this season, will you temper back your in-your-face style of play?

"I definitely have to be careful. A third (concussion) would put me out for quite a while - a month or a month and a half - so I have to change my approach to the game a little bit, but at the same time if I change it too much I am not going to be effective."

I've heard from NHL scouts that they are concerned about your discipline. I would think you are aware of that aspect of your game that needs to improve?

"I think NHL scouts would like to see me focus more on what I am doing, and not so much on the other team, and just walk away once the whistle goes. Both my concussions have come late or after a whistle, so if I can get that out of my game I will avoid more injuries and I'll be more effective. It's hard to walk away when someone gets there palm in your face or his face in your face saying something to you, but that's something I am going to have to work on and control."

No comments: