Saturday, April 26, 2008

My 25 Hundred Dollar Tan



  • Even us lazy radio broadcasters need a little r and r every once in a while. For me and my wife that meant a nice 7 day trip to the Dominican Republic. If their is someone who deserved this vacation, it was my wife Diana. She is a pillar of strength over the hockey season taking care of her hockey husband and twin boys. To say it was a well spent 25 hundred bucks would be an understatement.
  • Some quick thoughts on what I experienced down in the Dominican. 1) Topless sunbathing was the norm down there, with the french speaking set - pardon the pun on the 'set' - leading the way. I was almost tempted at buying a speedo, as I was the odd man out on the beach with my shorts that were cut off just above the knees. Even the old farts - those over 60 - had their family jewels dangling and on display for all to see in those tight speedo's. 2) While I sampled the local drinking hole, I don't understand why people go on a vacation and get all liquored up? Why do you want to spend 25 hundred bucks drinking your face off for one night, only to spend the next three days in your hotel room trying to shake if off? If you want to get hammered, save the 25 hundred bucks and get liquored in your backyard. It's waaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. 3) Use suntan lotion. I saw more red faced Canadians that threw caution to the wind on day one, and hid behind a big hat for the next 5 days. The sun will eat you up out there if you don't use any SPF. 4) I don't mind giving tips, but when it's a setup for making tips by the locals, I get my back up. The bus driver told us to stay inside the vehicle until all of our luggage was sorted and placed on the sidewalk for pickup. But as they were sorting out our luggage, I noticed sever 'locals' quickly heading for our bags with an aggressive attempt to wheel them to the check-in counter. As I got off the bus, I quickly grabbed the luggage and told them I could handle it myself. Let see. My luggage - all two pieces of it - have wheels, which makes it easy for me and my wife to transport it on our own. I don't need the help from a greedy Dominican looking for a handout to get my bags to the counter. Do I sound bitter? I am! For the most part the people down there in the service industry did a fantastic job, and I tipped them accordingly. But when it's a set up as a tipping opportunity, you will have to wrestle me to the ground to get your hands on my money.
  • While I was away I came back to discover that Ed Chynoweth past away. I knew that Chynoweth was in poor health, but hearing the news that he had passed away still saddens me. I put myself in the shoes of Dean and Jeff Chynoweth. Both WHL GM's are relatively close to my age (40), and both lost a father and friend with their dads passing. I fortunately have not experienced that same loss, but will obviously cross a similar path eventually. My heart goes out to those two gentleman who I have a great amount of respect for. Death is never easy, and losing a loved one is painful even if you saw the writing on the wall.
  • Tyler Myers is ahead of Luke Schenn as the top WHL prospect eligible for the upcoming NHL draft. Good for him. It will be a hard choice on draft day for NHL teams to decide who should be selected higher, Myers or Schenn. While Schenn is the more complete player now, scouts always referred to Myers as the type of player who will develop into a better pro down the road. I don't think teams will be disappointed on who they pick on draft day. I will be watching TSN closely on draft day to see who is picked first in the opening round.
  • Four Rockets are taking part in the NHL draft combine this summer. Myers and Schenn will be joined by Brandon McMillan and Colin Long. It's an exciting time for all four players, now go out and show the scouts that you are worthy of being selected on draft day.
  • Congrats to Myers and McMillan for winning gold for Canada at the Under 18's. Now that's a great way to end your hockey season. It's been a long season for those two, who also played at the CHL Top Prospects Game, but having a gold medal in your trophy case has to be pretty sweet.
  • Lethbridge is in the WHL final. Wow. I knew they had a pretty good team, but I would have never picked them to come out of the East. I saw the Hurricanes twice this season, and both times their skill and speed were on display. You have to feel good for Mike Dyck, who has never received the credit he deserves for turning that team around. As an outsider, the Hurricanes were a mess a couple of years ago. Now they are four wins away from a trip to the Memorial Cup for the first time since Bryan Maxwell guided them to the big dance in 1997.
  • Dean Brown. I caught a playoff game with Brown calling the play-by-play on CBC before I left for vacation. I have heard him before (he calls the play-by-play for the Ottawa Senators during the regular season) and I really liked what I heard. I loved his delivery, and I think he's a great addition to Hockey Night in Canada. Now I'd like to hear more of him.
  • My twins boys are into hockey cards. I decided to take out some of my old cards and show them my collection. I noticed one card that showed the top five shutout leaders from the 1978-88 NHL season. Montreal's Ken Dryden had five shutouts to lead the way. Tony Esposito, Mike Palmateer, Mario Lessard and Bernie Parent were next on the list with just two. Henrik Lindqvist of the Rangers had 10 shutouts this season alone.

1 comment:

MG said...

Man when I saw Lethbridge here I was blown away at how fast and how hard they played. Calgary didn't even show signs of that and we even beat them.

I definately ( no really....not lying) picked Lethbridge from the east and I think they are going ot the cup.