Wednesday, April 30, 2008

WHL Award Winners

WHL Player of the Year: Karl Alzner Calgary Hitmen.

Rookie of hte Year: Brayden Schenn Brandon Wheat Kings

WHL Goaltender of the Year: Chet Pickard Tri-City Americans


WHL Defenceman of the Year: Karl Alzner Calgary Hitmen


WHL Scholastic Player Award: Jordan Eberle Regina Pats

WHL Most Sportsmanlike Award: Tyler Ennis Medicine Hat Tigers

WHL Humanitarian of the Year: Ashton Hewson Prince Albert Raiders

WHL Coach of the Year: Don Nachbaur Tri-City Americans


WHL Top Official: Andy Thiessen


2 comments:

Sir Loungealot said...

It looks like your phrophecy re: the Sportsmanship winner came true. I'll make sure not to take opposite with you in the future when you're reading tea leafs.

All things being equal, I can't figure out the League giving the award to Ennis. Like I said in an earlier post Long played in more games, had more points, and had fewer PIMs. They must have based the decision on country of orgin. ;-)

Also, what's the deal with the East taking all but 1 of the player awards? Smells like an Eastern bias to me.

Regan Bartel said...

When I heard that Long wasn't going to the awards, it was a bad sign. Speaking from experience, a photo is taken of all the award winners at the banquet, so it was a no brainer that Long's absence was bad news. I wonder too if place of origin is a factor. The WHL would never admit it, but it makes you ask the question. I do know that the winners were selected by GM/Coaches and media from across the league. I guess we will have to believe that Ennis got more votes.