Thursday, May 1, 2008

Interview With Shane McColgan and his Coach


Note: Special thanks to Helen Alex, the mother of former Kamloops Blazers d-man/forward Ray Macias for providing me with a picture for the blog of McColgan and the contact numbers for both party's involved in this piece.

Here is my conversation with Shane McColgan on being drafted by the Rockets:

"Obviously it's exciting to be drafted by the Rockets. It was a team I wanted to go to. It's an honor and I'm excited."

Were you aware that the Rockets were interested in drafting you?

"I met with them (Rockets) down in Anaheim when they came down for the prospects camp. I met with them for about 2 and a half hours. I met with the GM and the coach. I gave them that feeling that I am interesting in coming up to the WHL, and that's why they drafted me.

Am I putting you on the spot by asking you if you are coming to the WHL, not going the U.S college route down the road:

"No you are not putting me on the spot. I think I am coming to the WHL in the next year or so. Obviously I have a lot of options, but I think the fastest way to get to the NHL is through the WHL, so I think that's a good route for me to take."

What do you need to work on before wearing Kelowna Rockets colours?

"I think I have the strength, but you can always improved on your strength and quickness and things like that. I think I need to work on the mental side of my game. I'm a competitive guy and my emotions sometimes get to me, so those are some things I need to work on."

Here is my conversation with McColgan's coach Jack Bowkus:

"As much attention as he's gotten, Shane was fully aware of the WHL bantam draft and what was taking place there. "

He is definitely a player that somebody was going to take in the first round. He is probably very, very happy knowing that Colin Long and a team he is familiar with drafted him today."



What kind of player is he?


"He's very, very driven. He has speed, he can score and he's aggressive. I haven't seen a guy play with that much intensity since Wendel Clark, a former teammate of mine in Saskatoon."

Do you sense he is leaning towards to the WHL?

"I feel the WHL is the best junior hockey league in North America. For kids that go there, that's what I feel, and I think Shane knows that a lot of players have gone there and have done very well. I know for a fact he was very interested in being drafted by Kelowna and I can't see why it wouldn't happen."



2 comments:

g.k said...

Hey Regan sound's like another great prospect, but why do the Rockets always take chances on these American players that have other options?? example - Moffat- Every high draft pick we choose seems to be a gamble for us! Great if they work out, Right? Have a great summer!!

Regan Bartel said...

I wonder if not all picks in the bantam draft are a gamble, whether they are American or not. Until that player you draft steps onto WHL ice and plays that first game, they can bolt and play anywhere. By the Rockets exchanging first round picks with Brandon, it was a clear indication that Frey and Hamilton had a good feeling about McCoglan. What I read on one prospect website prior to the draft is McCoglan was 110 percent committed to playing in the WHL. Nothing is guaranteed though, but to lump McColgan in the high risk category that Luke Moffatt was in last years draft wouldn't be right.