Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Things That Make Me Go Hmm...

  • I'll admit game three of the WHL final Tuesday night was a little dull to watch. The play-by-play crew did a great job of covering it, but the play on the ice doesn't exactly have you sitting on the edge of your seat. That said, the Hurricanes had to play it that way to even have a fighting chance against the Chiefs in this series. In my opinion had Tri City advanced to the league final instead of Spokane, the results would have been similar.Do I think the Hurricanes will be eliminated in game four tonight? I'll give them a game, but nothing more.
  • Sportsnet broadcaster Peter Loubardias was featured in an in-between periods interview Tuesday night on Shaw TV. I love Pete. I don't love him persay, but I love his passion for the junior game. Loubardias is one of these broadcasters that deserves a full time gig at the pro level in my opinion. He's paid his dues, calling games at one time for the SJHL's Estevan Bruins before moving on to the Regina Pats and then eventually becoming the pretty face on Sportsnet hockey broadcasts. It's those type of broadcasters I like to see excel. Loubardias is a class act.
  • While game three of the WHL final was decided in overtime, the same can't be said for the QMJHL final where Gatineau blew out Rouyn-Noranda 10-4 last night in game three of that league final. You have to love the 'Q' where they shoot out the lights and pay little attention to defense. Oddly enough in game two, Rouyn-Noranda beat Gatineau 6-2. In game one Gatineau won 6-2.
  • What are the Kelowna Rockets up to these days? I understand head scout Lorne Frey is busy sending out letters inviting players to rookie camp this fall. All teams must wait until Friday to send out those invites, making it a level playing field - league wide.
  • Getting back to the bantam draft, did you notice every team had the same response when commenting on the player they selected in the opening round. "He was the player we wanted, and we got him", was the comment coming from the majority of the 22 teams on draft day.
  • I did a double take when I heard Shaws Joe Kenward speaking to Spokane Chiefs forward Drayson Bowman following game two of the WHL final. For a minute I thought Kenward was speaking to Kelowna Rockets defenseman Collin Bowman. The two are obviously brothers, but the same tone of voice and the way they verbalize things was amazing. It reminded me of a chat I had with Brandon Wheat Kings forward Brayden Schenn, who sounded much like his older brother Luke.
  • If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Tyler Spurgeon being in attendance at the WHL final now that the series has shifted to Lethbridge for the next three games. The older brother of Spokane Chiefs defenseman Jared Spurgeon lives in nearby Edmonton. If Tyler isn't at the games, you've got to know Jared's mom and dad sure are. They are great supports of their sons, and have been great supporters of our Rockets radio broadcasts over the years. Even this past season I received an encouraging e-mail from Tyler and Jared's mom. She's a great lady.

No comments: