Thursday, May 1, 2008

Top 10 Interviews From This Past Season

1) Mark Messier. When the Rockets acquired the playing rights to Lyon Messier, you had to know that the 'Moose' would show up at sometime during the season. It become abundantly clear though that Lyons time with the Rockets would be short lived, so when I saw Messier at a morning skate in Everett, I seized the chance to chat with the NHL legend. I'll admit I was intimidated when I walked up to him as he was sitting in the stands. Yet after about two minutes of small talk, Messier showed me he is a class act, and didn't give me the feeling I was wasting his time. The ten minute interview (I could have gone on for 20 minutes) was a treat that this radio broadcaster will never forget.
2) Karl Alzner. The Hitmen made just one stop in Kelowna this past season, and Alzner was the target for a pre-game interview. On the advise of Luke Schenn, who spoke fondly of Alzner as a teammate with Team Canada, Alzner is mature beyond his years. He's such a pro, and spoke confidently about his World Junior experiences and his love for the game. I didn't get cliches, and left the interview with a better appreciation for a player who's as good on the ice as he is in front of a microphone.
3) Brady Leavold. If you haven't got it yet, I liked Leavold when he came over from Swift Current. He was a player you wanted to cheer for because of his off ice struggles with the Broncos. Whether all or some of the stories were true, he proved to be a great example to the younger players and was a pleasure to chat with during an interview. Leavold is outspoken and does his best to express himself without going over the line and being completely honest. Honestly can get you into trouble, yet Leavold did his best to get as close to the line as possible without going over it. In my opinion he's one of the best Rocket interviews ever in my time in Kelowna.
4) Tomas Hickey: While I was impressed with his play for the T-Birds in the opening round series with the Rockets, a chat I had with him before game three had be waving my pomp pomp's for the articulate d-man. Hickey even knew my name when we shook hands in our first encounter. The fact he knows who the peon opposition broadcaster is, is awfully impressive.
5) Kelly McCrimmon. He's a smart hockey man, and during an interview I had with him late in the season McCrimmon was candid and brutally honest when we spoke about Brayden Schenn. It was well documented last summer that Brayden and the Wheat Kings were at odds, and now that things had settled, both McCrimmon and the sensational rookie were speaking the same language. I respect McCrimmon a straight shooter who rarely makes a bad player move.
6) Rocky Thompson: The Edmonton Oil Kings assistant coach was a joy to talk to in a pre-game interview. He is so well spoken, brutally honest, and loves to gab about his playing days. He was on my top 10 list of interviews as a player when he was with Medicine Hat and Swift Current, and didn't disappoint in the 8 minute conversation I had with him now as a coach.
7) Bruce Hamilton. Hamilton has always been outspoken, and never pulls any punches when asked a question. In fact over my time with the Rockets, he has never backed away from a question I've asked him. Hamilton is open to share inside information with me on players on his roster, with the knowledge I won't be sharing that with fellow colleagues. What more can I ask for as the teams broadcaster?
8) Josiah Anderson. This one may come out of left field, but the former Rockets love for life and joy of playing the game of hockey in Europe this past season made for an excellent interview. Anderson was so pleased that he was fortunate enough to land with a team overseas, you could hear it in his voice. It's not often I get a chance to speak with former Rockets alumni over the course of the hockey season, but my long distance chat with the likable Anderson was well worth the service charge.
9) Ryan Huska. As the season wore on I got an even getter appreciation for the soft spoken coach. Huska wouldn't shy away when asked about his teams struggles, and unlike some coaches, called out players while praising others when it was deemed appropriate.

10) Don Hay. The Giants head coach reveals something new about the game every time I chat with him.

No comments: