Thursday, August 7, 2008

McEwan Plays Pro/Mario Coming to K-Town


  • James McEwan will be playing pro hockey this season, but unfortunately I am unable to say where. Why? McEwan wants to keep it under wraps until the team he is joining this fall makes it official on their website. I will respect his wishes and will keep my mouth shut until I see it posted. I am just pleased to see McEwan earning some money at a game he used to simply play for fun.

  • The Rockets officially released their regular season schedule today. While some may think starting the season on the road is a bad thing, I view it differently. I'd rather play more games on the road early in the season, especially to places like Portland and Tri City, which are often bus trips this broadcaster dreads. Don't get me wrong, I love being in those communities, I am just not a fan of the trip that get you there.

  • I found it interesting that the Rockets are holding an inter squad game this season. They failed to have one last year, and frankly I missed it. I like to see the rookies battle the veterans for a spot on the roster. The game never garners a huge audience, but surely its a valuable tool in evaluating the talent.

  • The inter squad game is August 30th. I like the game time. 6 o'clock is ideal, especially as fans and media are still trying to enjoy every summer night to its maximum.

  • Living in the Okanagan has it's privileges. Like Sunday when I ran into Martin Gelinas at a local Quiznos. Even the pro's love a tasty sandwich! Gelinas has calves that would make a body builder jealous. It was interesting to run into him on the week leading up to the 20th anniversary of the trade of Wayne Gretzky to the LA Kings. Gelinas was one of the players sent to the Oilers in that deal.

  • Mario Lemiuex is coming to the Okanagan next month. Lemiuex is one of several celebrities taking part in the Kids Rock Celebrity Golf Tournament to raise funds for the Children's Wish Foundation. The three day event begins August 27th at the Rise in Vernon. Ed Jovanoski and Bruce McNall have also said they will attend the event.

  • I want to publicly thank Kelly McCrimmon of the Brandon Wheat Kings for the sympathy card that I received from the team last week. Kelly, it was unexpected, but appreciated all the same.
  • Oh how times have changed for Todd McLellan. I laughed at the photo of him meeting with the media in San Jose the other day. It's a far cry from when Todd and I got together for pre-game interviews on frigid night's at the arena I still like to call the Civic Centre in Swift Current. After a loss in Swifty Todd had to answer to just two members of the media...me and the paper guy.

No comments: