Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Stepan Up His Game

The face you are looking at is European forward Stepan Novotny. I spoke to Novotny Tuesday, and I was nothing short of impressed. I don't think I've met a more mature 17 year-old in my time in junior hockey. I guess that comes with leaving home at a young age and attending high school at Shattuck St. Mary's the last couple of years. That's a bold move for a kid from the Czech Republic who wants to realize his dream of someday playing in the NHL. Novotny is not your average 'Euro'. His English is outstanding, and his confidence when talking to him shines through. He is excited to be in a Rockets uniform, and he told me he is just trying to keep up with linemates Colin Long and Jamie Benn. Until I see him in game action, the verdict is out on slick skating forward. But from what I've seen at practice, I like what he brings to the ice.


Novotny says his greatest challenge over the last couple of days since arriving in Kelowna Saturday night has been the time change. Novotny says the Czech Republic is 9 hours ahead of Pacific standard time. So if his family wants to listen to the games back home, they will be getting up at 4 am.

No comments: