Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Knew Him As Danny...A Dandy Defenceman


I hate keeping secrets, but in my position as the Kelowna Rockets radio broadcaster, I often times have to bite my tongue.
Last week I heard from an odd source that Dan Lambert was about to be named an assistant coach with the Kelowna Rockets. I received an e-mail from a 'mature' couple from Swift Current, who told me they had coffee with Lambert's in-laws and were excited to hear that Lambert was joining the Rockets coaching staff. Upon hearing the news, I put in a phone call to Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton, who confirmed that Lambert indeed would eventually be named one of Ryan Huska's assistants.
Late this afternoon the Rockets made it official.
While I would consider Lambert more of an aquaintances than friend, I feel like I've known him for years.
Why?
While he is two years my junior (40), I watched a young Danny Lambert (yes he was known as Danny back then) during the Swift Current Broncos rise to glory. Lambert was part of a Broncos team that would eventually win a Memorial Cup in 1989, with Lambert being named the tournament MVP.
Who coached Lambert that season? Graham James was the head coach with a much younger Lorne Frey, the Rockets director of player personnel, an assistant.
I can tell you that Dan Lambert was a tremendous offensive defenceman, a smaller Tyson Barrie if you will.
Lambert, all 5 foot 8 of him, looked somewhat odd out on the ice considering smaller players, especially on defence, were the exception not the rule in Western Hockey League at the time.
How good was Danny?
In the Broncos Memorial Cup year, Lambert would score 25 goals while collecting 102 points. Lambert would add 28 points in just 12 playoff games as the Broncos beat every team in the 1989 playoffs, including series sweeps over Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Portland.
Even after his graduation from major junior, Lambert was often seen in Swift Current during the summer and was always accommodating to the local media. He was approachable as a player and left a lasting impression on those he met.
I can say without a shadow of a doubt, fans of the Kelowna Rockets are really going to like him. What is Dan Lambert like as a coach?
That is yet to be determined, but I can tell you he has played with the best. If you need an example, just look up Joe Sakic, who was a teammate of Lambert's for two seasons in Swift Current, in 1986 and again in 1987.
Lambert becomes the 4th Rockets employee with a connection to the small Saskatchewan city of Swift Current. Lambert is joined on that list by Marc Habscheid, Ryan Cuthbert and Lorne Frey.
Lets just say the Rockets have had a pretty good track record when it comes to hiring individuals from the 'Frontier City'.

1 comment:

kingkong said...

i have to say...these are great news, but sad aswell caus iam not goin to see him on german ice agin...the last one of a great bunch is finally leaving ...
btw...i knew/met him as lambo!