Friday, November 13, 2009

Zimmerman named honorary captain

The Western Hockey League in association with the Canadian Hockey League, SUBWAY® and the Kelowna Rockets, today announced that retired Kelowna fire chief Gerry Zimmermann will act as the honorary captain of Team WHL during the SUBWAY® Super Series game between Team WHL and the Russian National Junior Team being held in Kelowna, British Columbia on Thursday, November 26th.
Zimmermann, 60, acted as Kelowna fire chief for 15 years before retiring in 2005. In 2003 Zimmermann led Kelowna through the devastating Okanagan Mountain Park Fire, becoming one of the most popular Kelowna citizens for his candor and his leadership during the fires, which burned over 200 Kelowna homes to the ground.

“This is an honour I really don’t think I deserve,” said Zimmermann. “I’m taken aback that they would ask me to do this. I’m really looking forward to it. I’ve had a lot of good things happen to me and this is one of the best.”

No comments: