Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rockets rookie camp on day one

  • I can honestly say it was nice being back at the arena for an early morning session on day one of Rockets rookie camp. All the usual suspects were there, including director of player personnel Lorne Frey and his multitude of scouting staff. General Manager Bruce Hamilton made it back in town from Toronto to watch the opening scrimmage as well. The coaching staff were huddled together as curious on-lookers too.
  • One face I was surprised to see was that of Glen Zacharias.'Zach' is a long time scout, most recently with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Zacharias found himself on the outside looking in with a shake up in T-Bay, so he is now doing some work for the Rockets. We go back when he was the Swift Current Broncos director of player personnel and I was the teams broadcaster.
  • While I spoke yesterday about the inconvenience that the Capital News Centre may poise for the Rockets, I must admit they are making the best of a bad situation. A riser is set up above the seats allowing management and scouts a chance to watch the action without being bothered by eager parents. A souvenir stand was even located outside the playing surface for players and families to take a look at.
  • One familiar face that was taking in the mid-morning session was former Rockets captain Brett Palin. Palin was sitting up with the scouts watching the players being put through the paces before making his way to the fitness facility in the arena to get in a workout of his own. Palin, who signed this summer with the Nashville Predators, will likely be playing in Milwaukee (AHL) this season.
  • The mid-morning workout had second year defenseman MacKenzie Johnston playing the role of referee. If Johnston has one thing going for him, it's genetics. His dad, Larry, is a big man and the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree. If Johnston can play a little nastier, the Rockets could have a good one.
  • I arrived too early to see first round bantam pick Jesse Lees during the morning session. I will have to make a point of watching him during Friday's workouts. I will admit, I am a little handicapped this week as I am pulling afternoon news duties on AM 1150, so my time at the arena is limited.
  • I did so much visiting at the arena in my limited time there that I saw very little of the on-ice action on day one. I hope to share some light on the players I liked on day two.

1 comment:

g.k said...

So Regan how are day's 2 & 3 going? Any suprises or players that are standing out?