Monday, September 26, 2011

Things that make me go hmm....

  • What a game Saturday night. If you were a hockey fan in Everett, you got your money's worth. The road team was leading 4-2 late in the game with many people heading to the exits when the Tips score two quick ones and tie the game. Overtime features a penalty shot which Adam Brown stops and then 14 skaters participate in the shootout before the Rockets end the two hour and 41 minute marathon. Unfortunately every game this season won't feature that type of excitement.
  • Are you as concerned as I am about Brett Bulmer? Bulmer, who is just 19, remains with the Minnesota Wild and is making a strong push to make the teams opening day roster. Amazing what Bulmer can do when he puts his mind to it. He's a much better player than some may realize if his heart and mind are in the right place. That is what makes Bulmer a frustrating player to watch sometimes. You know the potential is there, it just doesn't always come out.
  • While Bulmer is making some noise at Wild camp, should we be shocked if Mitchell Callahan returns for his 20 year-old season? It does happen where a signed player returns to junior if the team that drafted him is deep at both the NHL and AHL level. The Wings are a good example of that. Craig Cunningham is the best example of a player who was signed but sent back to junior where he was promptly dealt to Portland by the Vancouver Giants.
  • A stat I am going to keep this season is first goals. It's a statistic, in my opinion, that holds a lot of weight. Scoring the first goal of the game tells me you are engaged, ready to play and are not passive in your approach. Scoring the seventh goal in a 7-1 win does little to show me the character of a player. Stand up and be counted for early by helping your team proves a point. Tyson Baillie showed us that Saturday night by being the first player to turn the red light on.
  • For the record, Baillie has the bragging rights of scoring his first WHL as a 15 year-old. Baillie does not turn 16 until November. As previously mentioned, Shane McColgan scored his first WHL goal, also as a 15 year-old.
  • I am pleased to report the Tips home opener went off without a hitch. I understand new employees that work behind the scenes were finding their footing, and from what I witnessed, they did a terrific job. Thumbs up to Tips Director of Business Ops Zoran Rajcic for making it a great night even for the visiting broadcasters.
  • It is nice to get positive feedback on the first broadcast of the season. Let me thank the Everett Silvertip fans for making so much noise during the game that one listener said "it sounded like a playoff game". When the atmosphere is outstanding in the building, like it was Saturday night, everything about the product is better. It feels better in the building and it sounds better to those that are listening on the radio. It sounds like an event you want to be a part of. No noise in the building is deafening as it yells out - BORING!
  • Gord and I had a quick chat with the new pbp voice of the Tips, Travis Huntington. If the Tips players preform with the same passion and energy that Huntington brings to his job they should have a good season. A new face with a zeal for the game is never bad for an organization.
  • Is Twitter where it's at when it comes to new media? I'm a believer. Blogging still has it's place, but Twitter has really caught my eye. If I want information, Twitter is my first choice. If I want to sit down with a cup of coffee in my hand, I will jump from blog-to-blog.
  • I use Twitter strictly for information, mainly put out by broadcasters or journalists. If you want me to follow you on Twitter and then you post things about your sick dog, you are wasting my time and the unfollow button will be promptly selected. If you have yet to follow me on Twitter, I encourage you to do so at the right side of the page. But in saying that, if I am not providing you with the information you need, gas me. It's what I would do.
  • Up until Saturday, the last time the Rockets won their first regular season game of the season was in 2005.

8 comments:

Andy Kemper said...

Actually Regan...Craig Cunningham was not signed by Boston until this summer...he was unsigned when he was sent back to Vancouver.

Regan Bartel said...

Thanks Andy.

daryl said...

Hi Regan,
I couldn't agree more about the game Saturday night. I was one of the,I think,8 Rockets fans there and the game had a bit of everything including a very interesting 3 on 3 for the first minute and a half of OT. Astles looks big out there and I think as the year goes on he's gonna find fewer and fewer combatants that are going to want to go with him. You can tell he hits hard when he lands them.
I agree about the atmosphere there in Everett... Sorry Kelowna fans but they know how to get behind their team when they need too. I wish every Rocket fan could go to one game like that and learn a thing or two about visual and verbal support when your team needs a boost. Good for you Everett. We were painted up in Kelowna colors and I only heard one "Rockets suck" but had alot of fans make me feel quite welcome there... Good times!

fan said...

brett bulmer just scored his 1st goal

Ryan said...

how bad does the Wild have to be for Brett to make it as an 18 yr old? Seriously, he has talent but no work ethic or drive unless it serves his purpose, hence his success at camp right now. Give him 20 games and you will see a different Brett Bulmer. All the potential in the world but no chance this has changed in 4 months. Its too bad the Wild will end up making such a huge mistake instead off allowing maturity to take its course. So much like Keil McLeod, NHL teams droll because they can turn it on short-term, only to crash and burn.

jaz301 said...

It was really great to hear you call a game again Regan. It seems like forever since your last broadcast. I was almost not prepared for your intense calling. I am always on the edge of my seat. You make every game seems like its a big game.

I agree about twitter. It is a great thing for information. Most of the time I will read/hear about something on twitter before I hear about it anywhere else. It is an easy way to get information out and if it is big news it spreads fast.

If you are not strongly recommend following @reganbartel on twitter. Sometimes the info he tweets may not be posted on the blog so you may be missing out on stuff. Plus if you tweet him and you are lucky he may reply back, lol.

As for the fans in Kelowna, I don't know how many times I have said this on here, but a lot of times they just don't seem to be into the game. When I am at a game I always am trying to get the crowd going. Sometimes it works sometimes it does. Everett seems like they have a great crowd that seems to be energetic throughout the game not just here and there. I am going to the game on Saturday so hopefully and I am going to try and get the crowd going. GO ROCKETS GO!

Malc said...

As well as scoring for the Wild, Brett Bulmer was in the box for holding when St. Louis scored their PP goal.

Regan Bartel said...

daryl, the game was amazing. Glad you could be there for it. Drama..lots of it.

Ryan, my belief is he will be coming back, but give credit for Bulmer's efforts down there. I have said it all along that he can play if he puts his mind to it. The Rockets coaches say he's really matured, so I expect a big season from him.

jaz301, I will try to keep it to a dull roar Saturday night. lol. I was geared pretty high for the game. It was fun to watch and to be a part of. And yes, I would love to see the fans at Prospera be a little more animated, but we Canadians are often reserved. I love the Americans passion for sports.